Wednesday, January 30, 2008

More pictures!

Stacey, Leesa, Kristina, Kim, Bekah, Me

Here is the beginning of our adventures in New Mexico (and surrounding area such as Arizona). Yes! We went sledding. We have had 2 snow days and 2 late starts and 1 early dismissal so far. By the way, this place is called suicide hill. If I had a picture of the hill you might actually agree.


This is Window Rock. We just took our picture in front of it and looked at it to say we were there.

















Then we drove to Canyon de Chelly (pronounced shay) and hiked 2.5 miles. Something like that. It was easier to go down than up afterwards though. At the bottom were the amazing White House Ruins which were built by the Anasazi before the 1300's. I had no idea we had sites that old in North America. That was so great!


*about halfway down - taking a break...













These are the ruins. See the white building in the background. And that's all built into the canyon wall / a bit of a cave and it's incredibly high. Wish I could put a picture that showed the vastness of the whole canyon and these buildings. You'll just have to go to Arizona and check it out.

9 comments:

Lynola said...

woo hoo! I am the first to comment on this post. Your pic on suicide hill is cute. And window rock looks nice. I've lived in Arizona 1.5 years and not been there, and you've been in NM less than a month and have visited there - congrats! I learned a little about the history of AZ/Southwest in a class this summer. It is much older than I excpected too.
PS my word verification is ekvinha. It almost sounds like a name though I'm glad it's not mine.

Aleeda said...

When I graduated from high school four girls (me and 3 others) went on a road trip. We went to the Grand Canyon, San Diego, Tijuana, LA (Disneyland)-----
Anyway in Arizona we stayed overnight in Prescott, and then the next day we to Montezuma Castle and the ghost town of Jerome---Have you heard of them? The pictures reminded me of Montezuma Castle :-)
Glad to hear that you are enjoying your time there Michelle, and more than just the school.
Take care.
akv

ShellFish said...

Haven't heard of those places but they sound like great places to go :)
If you have pictures I would love to see them sometime!

ShellFish said...

Haven't heard of those places but they sound like great places to go :)
If you have pictures I would love to see them sometime!

Lynola said...

I wanna' hear about the Grand Canyon!

Teresa said...

You should update.

NWPopje said...

Um, you need to post again. What is going on in your life?!?! You are in BC, right?

Anonymous said...

Ok girl, you are out of school now, so you have time (ok, I know you have a wedding to plan) but no more excuses, time for an update, student teaching in BC, graduation etc. etc.
See you in a few days err, tomorrow.

~~~L.Vis MD

Ruth said...

I miss seeing you around. :-) Congratulations on graduation!